Full Spectrum Dominance Solo Swarm Test


The solo swarm mode has been available for testing for quite some time, but only recently was I actually able to set up a game.

When playing solo (and not only then) I like to know the rules, but I do not want to understand the deep meaning and strategies of how to play (at least not from the very beginning).
I like to take an approach to learning by feeling. 
It's a new game mode, which I want to experience in the same way Marines from the Sulaco experienced xenomorphs in Aliens 2 ;)

What does that mean exactly?
I knew how the swarm would move and that it would use cards but I did not try to understand what's the optimal strategy for dealing with them, what actions I should take and which I should avoid. I also wanted to use a standard list rather than anything specially tailored for swarm hunting.  That's why I took my regular 40 points demo list and expanded it with 20 points that would arrive on turn three.

Think of it as a regular unit called off from the front line to a new task they have not done also facing a new enemy.

The basic scenario goals are easy, there are six gates I need to go in and close as many of them as I possibly can. These gates are entrances used by the swarm which will try to stop me. There are three types of swarm units.

"Red" - worker

"Brain bug" - warrior

"cockroach" / "spore mine" - boss ( brute and breeder)

The game starts with each gate having 2 workers next to it and two bosses of a random type next to two random gates.

Brute and workers

Breeder and workers




Being the gentleman I am I decided to let the swarm take the first move so that my units could get at least a bit more familiar with their new circumstances.


And since I did not know what exactly I was doing a moment later the breeder spawned a bunch of new units!


Using my tank commander I moved up in a bold manoeuvre, killed some workers, used an action to close one gate (at the end of turn) with a support vehicle and set up a forward perimeter with the transport and some armoured infantry!



Have to say It was looking pretty good and I thought highly of my tactical cunning...


And then shit hit the fan! a big blob of units jumped ahead and killed my support vehicle!


while another freshly spawned one was right behind it!


if that was not bad enough the center was about to get overrun by some workers and a brute.


The armoured infantry activated and backed up to the tanks. Their fire unable to kill anything!


Soon enough the lone transport was surrounded!


It got some hits but managed to doge them.


While I could only activate my infantry and walker to pull up and fire with some free actions the bugs swarmed on!


One gate was actually left unguarded and I moved to secure it but ran out of actions to actually close it!


More incoming enemies and another lucky hit kills the vehicle. My forward perimeter is gone.


While the regular lines are flooded


And all of this on round one!


Assuming the situation was unsalvageable I decided to retreat and save as many lives as I could and accept defeat!


By the end of the turn, because of poor dice management, I actually maxed out the swarm (and added some extra ones because dying is fun!)


My general thoughts on this game mode?
  • it's fun!
  • it's hard!
  • Breeders are your priority target!
  • Go slow,
  • Prepare a better list
    • probably drop scouts (with their guided missile) and things that are dice-hungry. Free attack actions are a must-have since you need to be constantly keeping those swarm numbers down!
  • Analyze what kind of dice you will use when for the swarm, just eyeballing it is not enough :D

Will I try it again? Definitely! 



Comments