Easter painting sprint

What do you do when you're after a 1,5 day cleaning marathon, at the end of a 0,5 day cooking marathon and find out that the "The Ignis Quadrant" Kickstarter 3D print + paint competition ends tomorrow?
You use the failed 3D printed robot you have and paint it like crazy (and finish a ton of other stuff that you had "almost" ready)!

Co robisz gdy po 1,5 dniu sprzątania i 0,5 dnia gotowania dowiadujesz się, że termin oddania prac w konkursie wydrukuj I pomaluj  z kickstartera "The Ignis Quadrant" kończy się jutro?
Używasz nieudanego wydruku robota który już masz I malujesz jak szalony (a przy okazji wykańczasz sporo rzeczy które były mniej lub bardziej "prawie" gotowe)!

The night before I put my starting point together and fixed the most obvious gap with green stuff.
I just want to point out that if I had the spare time I would have printed a better model. This one had issues with his hand and later on (mid painting) I found that they were caused (or were the root cause of?) a minimal layer shift which I did not notice due to the overwhelming "whiteness".

Noc przed złożyłem to co miałem gotowe I naprawiłem najbardziej oczywistą dziurę przy pomocy green stuffu.
Chciałbym tylko nadmienić, że jeśli miałbym więcej czasu to wydrukował bym lepszy model. Ten miał problemy z ręką, które jak później odkryłem (w trakcie malowania) były spowodowane (albo spowodowały?) minimalnym przesunięciem w wydruku którego nie zauważyłem wcześniej przez jego "białość".







The next day after a very big Easter family breakfast I started my painting sprint.
After a while, I had a very nice shaded mini, and only then noticed, that the reason why his arm broke off mid-print was a partial clog in my nozzle, that cleaned itself 

Następnego dnia po bardzo sytym rodzinnym śniadaniu zacząłem swój sprint.
Po chwili malowania miałem całkiem ładnie rozjaśnioną (pocieniowaną?) figurkę i zauważyłem skąd wyniknęły problemy z ręką. 



After some more time, I had the blue highlights like I wanted them and decided to varnish and take some pictures.

Po dodaniu niebieskiego i jego rozjaśnień podobał mi się efekt, więc postanowiłem połozyć lakier i zrobić kilka fotek.



If you have a paint job that you like FIRST photo, THEN varnish. I keep to that rule most of the time. This one time however I did not. My airbrush was not as clean as I thought it would be and while taking pictures I started noticing the white dots all over my model!

Jeśli osiągniesz już moment w którym jesteś zadowolony/a z wyników NAJPIERW rób zdjęcia PÓŹNIEJ lakieruj. Trzymam się tej zasady przez większość czasu. Tutaj postanowiłem złamać i dopiero przy zdjęciach zauważyłem, że mimo czyszczenia aerograf miał w sobie resztki białej farby!



Some time and a few coats of paint later I had my robot finished. This time FIRST pictures ;)
Despite the fast pace, I am kind of happy with the varnish issue. After the repaint, he looked much better :)

Trochę czasu i kilka warstw farby później miałem ukończonego robota. Tym razem NAJPIERW fotki ;)
Pomimo krótkiego horyzontu czasowego jestem szczęśliwy, że wystąpiły problemy z lakierem. Po poprawkach wygląda zdecydowanie lepiej :)



As a challenge, I limited myself to only use the airbrush, no brushes at all while painting him. In the end, I broke that limit and painted the red wire on his back for the benefit of the miniature :)

W ramach wyzwania ograniczyłem się do malowania tylko aerografem, bez pędzli. Koniec końców ograniczenie złamałem aby pomalować czerwony kabel na plecach, ale to tylko dla ulepszenia figurki :)




Since I had grey and blue in my airbrush I decided to finish some other items as well. No point wasting time while paint is drying!

Ponieważ miałem w aerografie szare i niebieskie kolory zdecydowałem wykończyć również kilka innych rzeczy. Nie ma co marnować czasu gdy czekam aż farba wyschnie!

First are some 15mm LOS blockers (cyber car needs some wheels).
I know that a blue car with blue windows is not the best colour choice but I thought I could pull it off and I actually think I did!

Na pierwszy ogień poszły LOS blocker (cyber auto dostanie jeszcze koła).
Wiem, że niebieskie auto z niebieskimi szybami to nie najlepszy dobór kolorów, ale sądziłem, że mi się uda I chyba faktycznie się udało!




Next in line were some 28mm barrels and banner. The banner will get a proper poster on it once I find one that I am happy with. Some colourful graffiti will do for now.

Następne w kolejce były 28mm beczki I stelaż na banner. Stelaż dostanie faktyczny plakat jak tylko znajdę jakiś który mi przypasuje. Na razie kolorowe graffiti musi wystarczyć.




In the picture are (almost) all the paints that I used for painting.

Na zdjęciu (prawie) wszystkie farby których użyłem do malowania.

How to:
  1. Base was Vallejo German grey to which I added small amounts of white till I got to an exact replica of Medium see grey (3-4 coats).
  2. Which then I highlighted with pure Vallejo Stonewall grey (not in the picture as it ran out). 
  3. Final grey highlights (top of head and torso) were made with pure white.
  4. The light blue was only used for "glow" effects, I highlighted blue with Prussian blue + different amounts of white.
  5. Drakenhof Nightshade was used diluted 1:2 with Glaze Medium to pick out blue shades (which later got highlighted with the "highest" highlight).
  6. Nuln Oil was first used diluted (same as above) on the grey areas. 
    Next I decided that the legs and arms below shoulder pads should be treated with non-diluted wash. The upper part of the mini is intentionally brighter without any more wash and with some Stonewall grey (head, torso, elbows).


I also put some paint on one of my new 6mm scatter terrain, a downed Marauder bomber.

Położyłem też trochę farby na nowym kawałku ozdobnego terenu do 6mm, zestrzelonym Marauderze.


Here is the contest piece in a small diorama guarding precious goods against some punks.

Poniżej mała diorama. Konkursowy robot pilnuje cennych dóbr przed punkami.






Comments