Gnolls! + How to paint

For my 3D printed Rangers of Shadow Deep, I needed some Gnolls (quite a large number of Gnolls in fact). I was thinking about replacing them with Orks/Goblins (which I have quite the amount) and was looking for some free files when I stumbled on a Patreon that really caught my eye


They had just the right comic book style that I like. 
He also provided a sample test file for free so I could check if I will be able to print any of these minis on my machine.

A fair warning, these pictures show a lot of layer lines, to my naked eye they are almost invisible, but photography tends to make features like these pop-up!

Initial printed and painted batch (unbased) which I finished for a painting contest:





The big guy had a partial clog while printing putting him on my ultimate dilemma list. He's too good to throw out but could be printed better. I decided to print the weapon arm a second time, add it via pin and glue and hide the join with a green stuff bandage, the operation was a great success. and now that I mentioned it you can probably spot which of the bandages was added by me.







I printed the first Gnoll on the left (picture below) as a test model and he turned out too small for my taste, other ones (excluding the big guy) were increased to 

x - 120%
y - 120%
z - 110% 

to make them more in line with my other Warhammer miniatures.

I was going to throw the little guy out but decided to use him for painting practice and in the end, kept him in the warband. Not all Gnolls are tall and handsome!



My Warband consists of 5 different poses, 6 if you count the big guy, 8 if you notice that I mirrored the original poses to break up the monotony. The first pose is a warrior with two hand weapons. 
These I tried to distinguish a bit from one another by painting them differently, modifying the arms a bit or even damaging the weapons (one of them has a broken blade).




Second pose, which I call the defender is an "armoured" warrior with a bone club shield and helmet


These will serve either as Gnoll Champions or armoured Gnolls


Besides mirroring, rescaling and different colour schemes I did not make any modifications to the original model.


The big cape was a feature that I really enjoyed painting with them, a nice simple thing that defines the mini.


Next in line is the Shaman, I decided I only actually need one of these.








Second to last are the Gnoll "Champions", printed only two of these not to go crazy on the mini amount.





And last but not least are the archers. Six of them but only a single pose. Mirroring helped a bit but will need to mix them up with other ones so that they are a bit less of a clone army.




The project had to be put on hold for a few months because I was waiting for transparent bases. The end effect was worth the wait.

How to paint:

I always heard the phrase "thin your paints" and I thought I did, until this project. When I decided to use more glazing and added Glaze medium to almost all of my layers. The effects you can see above. For me they are wonderful but the amount of time needed to paint a single one is huge.

Base black
Zenital highlight white
Vallejo Glaze Medium (3) + Vallejo Heavy Brown (1) on the skin - 2 maybe 3 coats

Light skin:
Vallejo Heavy Brown + Vallejo Light Flesh as highlights /fixes
Vallejo Heavy Brown + Vallejo Light Flesh mix + 3 parts Glaze Medium just on the top parts - Some have this, others do not, I'm not sold on this last step.

Light leather:
Vallejo Red Leather + Glaze Medium (2-3 coats)

Red armour/clothes
flat red + Glaze Medium
Vallejo Orange rust (+ Glaze Medium if needed, my paint did not require it)
(some have Vallejo Chrome yellow instead of Orange Rust as step two)

Medium skin
Vallejo Heavy Brown + Vallejo Light Flesh  + Glaze Medium
While it's still wet heavy brown + glaze medium to make it a darker tone


Łódź 2020

Comments